The Evangelical Lutheran tradition traces its roots back to the 16th century German monk and reformer Martin Luther. Brother Martin, as he was known, was in turn influenced by the 4th century North African Catholic bishop, Saint Augustine.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer held its first service in January 1914 and was officially organized on March 1 that same year. During our earliest days, we were few in number and gathered for worship in a number of buildings around Macon before purchasing the old Baptist Tabernacle on Second Street in 1916. Within four years, we outgrew that building and moved to a new location on Holt Avenue.
In 1957, we moved to our present location at the intersection of Pierce and Ingleside, and we’ve been here ever since.
Throughout our ministry, we’ve had a special emphasis on service to military communities stationed in the Macon area.